Let’s get crafty! There’s no better way to spend time with the kids than cultivating their love of art and letting them express themselves through their craft.
This month, we made a simple and easy mobile using perler beads and a few odds and ends from the local craft store. The possibilities are truly endless with this one! Want to make a wind chime? Add some glass or metal accents. Looking for something to match their bedroom? Opt for coordinating colors. The bead aisle alone is inspirational!
So grab your kiddos (and your baking pans) and make some memories!
– Metal Skewer
– Perler Beads
– Hook or Clip
– Craft Ring
– Nonstick Cupcake/Muffin Pan
1) Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) Add perler beads to the cupcake pans, being sure to evenly cover the bottom.
3) Bake until beads have melted fully and evenly. For us, this took about 10-15 minutes.
4) While the plastic discs are still warm, carefully remove them from the baking pan and use the skewer (or other sharp object) to form a hole. This part should be done by the parent.
5) Repeat until you have as many discs as you would like. Optional: try making different shapes using metal cookie cutters and a metal baking sheet, spraying both with nonstick spray prior to baking.
6) String a mixture of the beads you selected and the plastic discs on the twine, being sure to secure the ends. We used some extra perler beads for this as well!
7) Attach the beaded strings to your craft ring, distributing them so the mobile hangs evenly.
8) Tie four pieces of twine to the top of the ring and connect in the center. Add a hook or clip for easier hanging.